Friday, April 22, 2011

Flavorful Fridays Banana Nut Bread

Banana Nut Bread

All I can say is....delish!
I love my mama's Banana Nut Bread! It is super fabulous!
I had bought some bananas the other day and we just never got around to eating them and I did not want to waste them so I decided to make some bread!
I don't recall ever making this recipe on my own before but figured I'd give it a try!

What you need:
1 3/4 c flour
1 1/4 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
2 eggs
2 T milk
2/3 c sugar
1/3 c shortening
Nutmeg {Just put several dashes in there for more flavor!}
1/4 c chopped walnuts
1 c mashed banana {approximately 2 whole bananas} Note: you do not want to use perfectly ripe bananas. Buy them several days-maybe 4 or 5-before you plan to make this and wait until they start to get the little brown spots on the outside. You get more flavor from them when they are mushy!

How to make:
Stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg and 3/4 t salt; set aside.
In a mixing bowl, beat sugar and shortening with an electric mixer until light, scraping the sides of the bowl often.
Add eggs and milk to the mixing bowl, beating until smooth after each addition.
Then add the flour mixture and the mashed banana alternately to the creamed mixture, beating until smooth after each addition.
Fold in the nuts.
Pour the batter into a lightly greased 8x4x2" loaf pan.
Bake in a 350 degree oven for approximately 60-65 min or until a wooden pick inserted near the center comes out clean {I happened to use a brand new convection oven when I made this and it only took mine about 55 minutes to cook so keep an eye on it the first time you make it to find the perfect timing for your oven!}

Cool in the pan for about 10 minutes and then remove it and place it on a wire rack to finish cooling.
This recipe makes 1 loaf. I like to double the recipe to make 2 loafs. You can never have enough Banana Nut Bread!
Enjoy!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...