Friday, March 25, 2011

Flavorful Fridays Banana Split Dessert

I shared this dessert on Jamielyns fabulous blog the other week and am now posting it here!
This dish is just pure heaven and I am so excited to share it with you!

Banana Split Dessert

What you need:
~2 sticks of butter
~1 12oz bag of milk chocolate chips
~2 cups of powdered sugar
~1 large can of evaporated milk
~2 packages of graham crackers
~2 boxes of vanilla ice cream {necessary to get the boxes instead of a tub}
~1 bunch of bananas

How to make:
First you will need to make the topping!
Melt 1 stick of butter in a sauce pan and then add the bag of chocolate chips, constantly stirring until fully melted.
Then add 2 cups of powdered sugar and immediately thereafter, whisk in the evaporated milk.
Constantly stir. Boil about 2 minutes until nice and bubbly.
{The mixture will not be very thick at this point}.
Place the chocolate mixture into the freezer {still in the pan}. It will need to stay in there until it is cooled. Probably several hours. I suggest that you occasionally go in and stir the mixture in the freezer so that it will all cool, not just the edges. It will then start to thicken up.
{sorry the photo is blurry-you get the idea!}
In the meantime, start making the base of the dessert!
Put both packages of graham crackers in a zip lock baggy and crush them until they are nice and crumbly! This is the beginnings of your crust! I used a rolling pin for this part. If you think ahead, you can just use a food processor to make your crumbs :) My mom didn't remind me that she had one until I was halfway done crushing up my crackers!
It's still fun to do it this way, though!
Put your crumbs into a 9x13 dish. I used an old school tupperware that I stole, I mean, borrowed, from my mom years and years ago! It's what we always put this dessert in and now I won't make it in anything else! You can use any kind of tupperware or a cookie sheet but make sure that it has a lid.
Next you will melt 1 stick of butter in the microwave. Then pour it over the crumbs in your dish. Then take a spoon to mix the crumbs and butter all together and spread evenly along the bottom of the dish.
Then you will want to fully open your first box of ice cream. Cut approximately 1" slices and place directly on top of the crust. Depending on how thick you cut your ice cream or how big your dish really is will determine if you end up needing to use the second box of ice cream
{I always do, though}.
Then it's a good idea to kind of push down on the ice cream and make sure that there aren't any huge gaps anywhere.
Next, take those perfectly ripe bananas and start slicing away! Just let them fall as they may onto the top of the ice cream, or you can place them evenly all over. I use about 3 bananas but you can definitely use more!
{At this point, my mom decided that I had enough left over ice cream that she started making her own so we wouldn't have to share!! Works for me! Dad will sure be excited!}
Place the dessert in the freezer until your chocolate topping is completely cooled.
{If it isn't, when you pour it on top of your ice cream, it will melt right through it. In all honesty, it still tastes just as fabulous, it just doesn't look smooth or 'professional'!}

Once it is cooled, pour the chocolate on top of your crust, ice cream, banana base. Be sure to get a spatula to eat any of the leftover chocolate in the pan that didn't make it onto your dessert!
You wouldn't want to waste any, now would you?!!
Place it in the freezer again.
Allow several hours for this to set before serving. In fact, I recommend you make this dessert the night before you plan to serve it so that it will be perfectly chilled!
Serving size is approximately 12.
Ta Da!!! There you have it! I hope you enjoy!!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...